Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Geek In Me....

Recently there have been quite a number of talks about geek or nerd being the chic thing to be called now. Well it has not always been this way, especially 5 years ago. I was in uni and was constantly being called a nerd.

I can't blame them since I since more time at places selling computer stuff than in bars drinking my money away. A $30 T-shirt looks expensive to me but not a $300 shining brand new video card was a must buy, even when the price will probably be 1/2 in 3 months time. Well, at least I'm "the nerd that can dance" (thats my nick in my uni college)... Ha.

Even though I'm working now, the geek in me still remains. My PC is the first thing I switch on when I enter my house (yes not even my lights beat that). I spend more time on my computer than talking to my mum. I enjoying reading specification page of a product and doing up my own comparison tables of things I want to buy after doing research on the web. I even have a comparison list for wedding banquets of different hotels (though it is outdated now since it was for year 2004 but nonetheless still a good reference).

The renovation of my house has also put the devil's horn over my head. Suddenly I wanna upgrade my PC and get a great hifi and TV set for my living room. Having gone to a friend's place where he spend a bomb on an impressive set of home entertainment system, I been trying to contain myself from spending the same amount of money on my own system.

But in the mist of doing my research on them, I got "poison" and ended up spending very close to $700 to change my PC speakers.

This is my existing speakers from creative. Got them free from my friend. They are a ok speakers, as long as you dun turn up the volume. And occasionally the left speakers will decide to take a break and produce no sound. Only after "whacking" it a few times then will it wake up.



Had enough of all these and decided to get myself the Logitech Z5500. Was told my Boon12 (my future neighbour) that its actually a very big system and very heavy (27kg). MC Logic, the distributor, was bringing it in for the first time to Singapore for the Comex show, so I ordered a system from them after I got a wind of this news. They were kind enough to deliver it to my place since their office are nearby.

Man the big is huge!!! See the 30cm plastic ruler on the top left hand corner the box. I put it there so you guys can imagine how big is that. And it bloody heavy. I mean I can't walk 5 steps carrying it alone. But all the hard work (carrying it to my room) is worth it. Here's a picture of the actual speakers inside.



Chio right. But wait till you hear the sound... Simply heavenly...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home